Thursday 13 January 2022

Monarch

There it is!
The branch startle,
the ice-pick dart,
the plunge and struggle.

There!
The sunset breast,
the test against gravity,
blue-muscled.

There! Oh, there!
Water spray light-caught,
fraught on a sleek line,
defining history.

You missed it.


This piece was written in January 2017, and I honestly couldn’t tell you why. It’s been used by me as a quick piece for the Allographic open mic “Chaos Round” (where, for an unspecified amount of time an unspecified number of poets dash to the stage – physical or virtual – and give us tiny poems, fragments of pieces, mysterious fillips, then retreat) a few times, and, as they say, I just think it’s neat. As a child I did a lot of birdwatching, even had my own binoculars, and I’m still that person who’ll stop on a walk or stare out of a car window at interesting avifauna (sometimes to the consternation of the people in the passenger seats, it has to be said…). I have, however, never seen a kingfisher in person.

Mildly impressionistic digital drawing of a British kingfisher sitting on a branch against a fuzzy green background. The kingfisher squats on the pale, slightly knobbly, upward-curving branch, body in three-quarters profile, its back turned slightly toward us. Its head is turned to present a perfect profile, facing toward our left. Its dominant colour is a shade of teal - on its back, head, cheek, and tail, which is small and pointed. There are paler spots and highlights of aquamarine scattered throughout and curving along its back, and its head has an almost regimented variegation. The other main colour is orange - on its breast, belly, temple, and a little just in front of its glossy, black eye. There are white accents on the back of its neck, throat, and top of its long, straight, shiny, dark beak. One little taloned foot is visible peeking out from beneath the belly fuzz and curving around the knob of the branch on which the bird is perching.
A common kingfisher, drawn from a picture by John Bridges

This was a lot of fun to draw, but took me significantly longer to get around to starting than I’d have liked, probably because it seemed so very daunting a prospect to do justice to. However, once I’d got going, it took me significantly less time than anticipated to draw. I’m clearly learning… However, the source photo cropped the tail, so I’m very much hoping I did it justice!

Look out for this and its Lesser Spotted friends in Spectral later this year!

3 comments:

  1. I have seen a kingfisher, many years ago, and this is a great evocation - even if you've seen it, it's so fast you've still missed it! Lovely pic. Hope you're well Fay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, how cool! And thanks, RTJ - that means a lot. Hope you're well.

      Delete
  2. I have your postcard if this. It’s gorgeous! A good place to see them is on the river in St Ives near where I live. They sit for periods on branches as you drift past in the electric( silent) boat that goes on mini cruises downriver.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.